Summary of meetings regarding discontiuation of Help Request

The current state of Help Request

• Live Help/Help Request has not scaled to meet the volume of Help Requests, nor the requests themselves.
  • Not changing with the times means that Help Request was becoming less and less helpful overall.
  • One of the problems with current support/help system is that it’s not targeting the people that need help the most
  • there have been an increasing number of innapropriate help calls like that….again…related to OI, interpersonal disputes, etc

The Ticketed Support System

• Customer Support will be transitioning to a ticketed support system.
  • Help Request will not be running along side the ticketed system because of the way the new system has to be implemented it wasn’t possible-it would have meant pulling liaisons from the help channel completely, leaving you guys to bear the full load, which we didnt see as a fair alternative The liaisons who man HR now…need to train in the new system we don’t want to leave the system to decline until it collapses on the last few dedicated helpers
  • the new system is a way for people who need help the most to get it, not the last-come first-served method that help request can degrade into at times
  • There will be a gap of 3 to 5 weeks where there is neither Help Request nor the ticketed support system, but we should see Liaison specialists moving in to be available for serious issues at this point Help Request will be removed next wednesday Wednesday 18th April, 2007

SL Certification

• Linden Lab are looking at creating SL Certification- Like becoming certified for things like Cisco Networking etc, we’d like people to be able to PROVE they know what they’re talking about in SL
    • Blue mentioned that he’d like the Volunteers to help define what certification entails- if you were to be asked if you passed the certification test, it would be cool for you to be able to say…pass it…I WROTE IT
    • the team working towards creating certification will be part of a larger goal towards providing education in SL

Volunteers and the Certification program

• at this point certification is not related to the volunteer program
  • certification will be an option for residents who work in SL and want to prove their mettle….it’s not something we’re going to be requiring of volunteers, rather it’s something we would like to give volunteers an option to contribute to
  • the certification test would be given by a 3rd party company that specializes in certification, we will just be helping to define the test

Volunteers and Orientation Island

• The new user experience currently results in roughly 10% retention
  • There are currently too many barriers to entry to find one’s place in their Second Life
  • A lot of Help Requests are things that should or could be answered during the Orientation process
  • Improving the Orientation Process means the newer Residents start off their Second Lives with a better education- getting to them earlier is more valuable to the people who need help the most
  • nobody is going to force anyone to camp the public OI/HI

Linden Lab Improvements

• we have two teams that are moving into place to monitor the grid and respond to residents
    1. 24/7 replacement for the Grid Monkey position
    2. a Liaison team that coordinates with them and act as Early Responders they will also have 24/7 coverage. you will be able to contact them when there are replicators etc
  • The Liaison response team will be the lindens you can contact directly with issues, but I (Blue Linden) can’t talk with real authority on that as I didn’t work on that directly. I believe they (new Residents) are able to contact Liaison early responders directly
  • There will be 6 Lindens dedicated to the Volunteer program
  • we have 2 tech writers on staff now to help build out the knowledge base
  • expanding the volunteer program in ways that are proactive and produce cumulative effects makes more sense than continuing to try to address people one at a time, while we are quickly outnumbered
  • we are going to be requiring meeting attendance for volunteers….say one meeting every 3-4 months- nothing that will be restrictive to those of you who are regulars, but enough to sort out some of the people who just want the Mentors tag

Note from Marv: would be a good means of allowing Residents to access the self-help resources from within the Viewer.

This entry was posted in Second Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Summary of meetings regarding discontiuation of Help Request

1. Lord Sullivan says:

Thanks for taking the time Marv to write the summary of the meetings in a clear and consice way its saved me lots of time :)

2. Jennifer McLuhan says:

I am a Mentor who has gone to an OI at least a dozen times. I have yet, to get the HUD to complete the program for me. If I can’t finish, what about a poor newbie.

Also, the last few times, I can’t teleport back home. I have to log out then back in. If it isn’t convenient for Mentors, how does Amber and Blue expect us to go? I want to help at the OIs. I have long believed that this is the place to meet them. However, I am not interested in having to log off every time I want to go somewhere else.

Jen

3. Winter Wardhani says:

Thanks for the summary of the meetings. Those History logs are way too long and with all the crossed conversations you end up a bit confused :)
    Just two things about the volunteer program:
    1. Mentor’s meetings – the meeting times are, up to now, completly impossible for me to attend. Either I’m working or asleep as I am in GMT. Is it being considered different times/days so that us, poor Europeans, are able to attend without getting fired from our RL jobs? lolol
    2. OIs and HIs – Been to both and I noticed that, at OIs, Newcomers are more worried about having “all the stars”, and they really don’t listen what you have to say after they get them. Just want to go to the “world outside”. I surely agree that it is important the presence of Volunteers there but think that the presence of Volunteers on Help Islands is also very important. On HIs they are more willingly to listen and have more questions to ask. a high percentage of newcomers just greet the fact that a Mentor or any other Volunteer is there to help them cause they feel lost after “loosing” the Tutorial.
    And that’s about it (for now ;) ) Thanks for reading guys :)

4. Synthalor Mandelbrot says:

Please do not make mentor meeting attendance an absolute requirement. My arguments against this policy are personal.

My time in SL is entirely unplannable. It is not possible for me to commit to meeting times. In spite of sincerely wishing to do so, I have not been able to attend a single Mentor meeting.

On the other hand, I have helped quite a number of new residents during my time as a mentor. I have also recruited several people into the mentor program. As Jeska Linden can confirm, I have also served as an “advocate” for new mentor recruits throughout their sometimes overly-lengthy “waiting periods.” I do faithfully and carefully read the meetings transcripts and am one of those who requested that they be made available to the volunteer community. At least some new residents have told me that I am a helpful and inspiring Second Life Mentor.

My RL work and family life are extremely active and make my SL indeed “second-ary.” That doesn’t make my SL unimportant to me. Neither does it make my commitment to help new residents any less serious. It does make it difficult, if not impossible, to attend meetings.

I “wake up” into Second Life each time in Ginny Gremlin park, in memory of that superb Second Life Mentor’s fine example. But I never know in advance when, in RL, I will be able to enter SL

Please do not make meeting attendance a hard requirement. While I certainly can and will help new residents whether or not I bear the Second Life Mentor tag, it does come in handy sometimes as an “open invitation” for new residents to ask for my help. I think there are probably other fine Second Life Mentors who find themselves in similar circumstances.

5. Vachel Cassidy says:

Thanks for writing this out, sadly yet again I was unable to attend, like the other comments here I was either at RL work or asleep as I too am on GMT.
    I have been a Live Helper, Instructor and Mentor for well over a year now and have seen a lot of changes.
    I enjoy helping new folks and like others though I cannot spend that much time on OI or HI, I do like to help where I can.
    I do like the idea of the certification as it would really consolidate what we know and what we need to learn.
    By detailing what there is to learn maybe the new avatar experience can be made to include topics that will help when they do join the sl world

6. Blue Linden says:

Yes, we will be expanding the meetings to be more Euro and weekend friendly!

As far as attendance, we will be using minimum manditory attendance to help us identify those who are completely inactive in the Volunteer groups and give them an opportunity to become more active or be removed. If you are active in the group, or could just make contact with us every few months to let us know you’re still part of the team, you’ll be fine! We really have no intention of making it difficult for those Volunteers who are invested in the group. :)

Comments are closed.